Columbia Theological Seminary Announces Distinguished Service Awards
Decatur, GA.—At its annual Alumni/ae Association meeting on April 18, Columbia Theological Seminary presented the Distinguished Service Awards for 2006 to Charles B. Cousar and James S. Lowry. The awards are presented annually to two graduates who have shown outstanding Christian service in ministry.
A 1958 graduate, Cousar is the Samuel A. Cartledge Professor of New Testament emeritus at Columbia. He has served in various capacities at the seminary since 1960. In addition to teaching, he was Dean of Academic Affairs, Dean of Faculty, and Interim President. He also taught locally at Agnes Scott College and Union Theological Seminary, in Richmond, VA. Cousar served on the Board of Education of the City Schools of Decatur, and as a member of the Board of Advisers for McCallie School in Chattanooga, TN, where he received the Alumni Achievement Award in 1996.
Lowry graduated from Columbia in 1966 and has since served as either pastor or interim pastor to PC(USA) congregations in or near Jacksonville, FL; Charleston and Columbia, SC; New Bern, NC; Anniston and Mobile, AL and Memphis, TN. Lowry has published two books: Low-Back, Ladder-Back, Cane-Bottom Chair (St. Mary’s Press, 1999) and Prayers for the Lord’s Day: Hope for the Exiles (Geneva Press, 2002). He was a member of the seminary’s Board of Trustees and is currently a member of the editorial board of the Journal for Preachers, which frequently publishes his material.
Columbia Theological Seminary, located in Decatur, Georgia, was established in 1828 and is one of 10 theological institutions of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
P.O. Box 520
Decatur, GA 30031-0520