- COLUMBIA &
& CAMPUS LIFE
- LIBRARY &
- ALUMNI &
- PASTORS &
Feel free to send additional news and announcements for circulation at CampusUpdates@ctsnet.edu.
Any events involving a room reservation must be confirmed on the calendar through the Business Office (Miguel Chavez at 404-687-4510 or ChavezM@CTSnet.edu).
Explorations Applications Now Available!
Explorations (I-521*) ES 2016 and SU 2016 Applications Now Available! Check your CTS student email for the course information sheet and application. Applications are due (as a Word document) October 1, 2015. Questions/concerns should be directed to email@example.com. *I 521 is a required course for all MDiv and MDiv/MAPT degree students. MAPT and MATS students may apply to take the course, with preference for placement given to MDiv and MDiv/MAPT applicants.
Six Pieces, Three Exhibits, One City!
Recent alumna Katie Archibald-Woodward will be displaying six of her photographs in three Atlanta galleries between now and November 18: Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, the Mason Fine Art Gallery, and APG Gallery. Four of the six were taken in the heart of where our Biblical heritage was birthed (Bethlehem, Palestine and Lebanon), one on a mission trip in Portugal and the other gallivanting around the streets of Vienna one evening. Details here.
The Clothes Closet is a ministry for missionaries and members of the CTS community located at 235 Inman Drive. For fall semester, here are Clothes Closet hours:
- Monday 10:00 am-12:00 noon, 3:00-6:30 pm
- Tuesday 12:00-4:00 pm, 6:00-9:00 pm
- Wednesday 10:00 am-4:00 pm, 5:00-6:30 pm
- Thursday 12:00-2:45 pm
- Friday 10:00 am-12:00 noon
- Saturday 2:00-4:00 pm
CTS choir is back. Eric Wall, who will be teaching this semester here, will also be directing a combined choir. Rehearsals will be on Tuesdays from 1:30 to 3pm. Everyone is invited!
Score The Winning Touchdown! No, Falcons Coach Dan Quinn did not call to recruit you for his Atlanta Falcons team, but don’t get left on the sidelines. We have just the spot for you on our team—the fall 2015 Phonathon team, that is. Gear up in your favorite team football jersey, take a break from the books, and rush on over and sign up for the Fall Phonathon. Each year, Columbia students call alumni/ae and past donors to encourage support for the Columbia Annual Fund. This is a great way to get to know Columbia alums and donors. And to top it all off, the “touchdown club” leaders (members of your friendly Annual Fund staff, and team mascot) will provide energetic snacks; award extra-special prizes; and pay a great hourly rate. For more information, please call or e-mail Pam Cottrell at 404-687-4588 or cottrellp@CTSnet.edu or Sandra Taylor at 404-687-4698 or taylors@CTSnet.edu. Phonathon dates are Mondays-Thursdays, October 5-15, 6:45-9:00 pm. Come score a touchdown for your Columbia Annual Fund!
Fundraiser for Winship Cancer Institute at Emory
With so many friends fighting cancer, we wanted to make people aware of this fundraiser for Winship Cancer Institute where local friends have received great care. There are accounts under the names of Sharol Hayner and Penny Hill (Executive Presbyter for Greater Atlanta also under treatment). You can also leave a note for “In Memory of” or “In Honor of”someone. If at least 10 people sign up to participate In Memory of Steve Hayner, there will be a way to indicate that visibly on the day of the race.
HSHC Information Table
The Healthy Seminarians-Healthy Church Initiative will be having an informational table in the Refectory Lobby during the lunch hour on Friday, Sept. 11, and Mon., Sept. 14. Stop by to find out more about the following:
- Moving in Wholeness small group starting soon! All CTS students, faculty, and staff are invited to participate. We will meet during the lunch hour 1-2x/month throughout the school year. The purpose of the small group is to provide those in the CTS community the opportunity to think biblically and theologically about health in all senses of the word (physical, emotional, spiritual, communal, and environmental). Along the way, we hope participants will gain practical tools and resources in order to improve their own health as well as the health of those they serve. Come and join others who are seeking the abundant life into which Christ calls us!
- Signing up for a complimentary fitness and/or nutritional consultation.
- Find out about the new yoga class being offered.
- Signing up to participate in a running or walking group.
- Interested in nutritional discussions, cooking demonstrations, financial health seminars, etc.? Let us know.
- Have some healthful ideas that you would like to see become a reality on the CTS campus? Share your thoughts with us. We would love to hear them!
If you would like more information about the HSHC Initiative and/or the activities mentioned above, please feel free to contact Karen Webster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Preaching Weekend
The Office of Alumni/ae and Church Relations is organizing a student preaching weekend to churches in the area of Maryville, TN on the weekend of November 7 & 8. The trip will be a fun time with fellowship and continuing education, as well as an opportunity to promote Columbia Seminary. It may also generate personal and church connections that will positively impact your future search for a first call. Email Barbara Poe here.
Library Hours This Week:
- Tuesday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Wednesday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Thursday: 8:30 am – 10:00 pm
- Friday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Saturday: 12:00 – 5:00 pm
- Sunday: 3:00 – 8:00 pm
Online Bookstore Open!
Our online bookstore with MBS Direct is now open, so students can order fall books. There are links to the online store on CAMS, Moodle, and the CTS Web Site. All book lists for basic degrees fall, 2015 classes will be posted at the MBS site here.