Columbia Theological Seminary Announces Distinguished Service Awards
Decatur, GA.— Columbia Theological Seminary has presented the Distinguished Service Awards for 2007 to Dr. Wade P. Huie and The Rev. Elizabeth McGregor Simmons. The awards are presented annually to two graduates who have shown outstanding Christian service in ministry. A 1946 graduate, Huie is the Peter Marshall Professor of Homiletics emeritus at Columbia Seminary, where he taught from 1957 to 1991. He was formerly assistant pastor of Peachtree Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, and Cannongate Kirk, Edinburgh, Scotland, and pastor of Vineville Presbyterian Church, Macon, GA. Huie has also taught at Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA, and at Union, Princeton, and San Francisco Presbyterian seminaries. Within the denomination, he has served on the General Assembly’s Board of Christian Education, General Council, Permanent Theological Committee, and Ordination Examination Committee. His son Scott received his M.Div. from Columbia Seminary in 1994. He has three other sons: Wade III, John, and David and is married to Emily Williams. Wade Huie’s complete DSA award citation is available online. Simmons graduated from Columbia in 1967 and from 1979-1993 served as pastor of congregations in Jacksonville, FL, and St. Louis, MO. Since then she has served as senior pastor at University Presbyterian Church, in San Antonio, TX, where she helped found the Source of Light Center for ecumenical adult learning. She serves as her congregation’s youth pastor and is also directly involved daily in their Children’s Center (daycare program). Simmons was chosen moderator for the Committee on Preparation for Ministry for all three presbyteries where she has served over the past 28 years, and she is currently the chairperson of stewardship and finance for Mission Presbytery. She is married to Gary Simmons and they have one son, Stewart McGregor (Mac) Simmons. Her complete DSA award citation is available online. Columbia Theological Seminary, located in Decatur, Georgia, was established in 1828 and is one of 10 theological institutions of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Director of Communications