Seminary’s 180th Year Begins with Convocation and Dedication of Montreat Collections
Decatur, GA—Columbia Theological Seminary celebrated the start of its 180th year on September 6, with a convocation service at Columbia Presbyterian Church. Erskine Clarke, professor of American religious history, gave the convocation address. Following the traditional community lunch, the John Bulow Campbell Library hosted a ceremony to dedicate the Montreat Archives. Now occupying the third floor of the library, the Montreat Archives include significant portions of the holdings of the Presbyterian Historical Society’s Montreat branch, which closed last year. The materials include local Presbyterian church records, congregational histories maintained by Presbyterian Women, personal papers, a collection of rare books, and museum artifacts from 500 years of Presbyterian history. All will be available to scholars, church historians, family genealogists, as well as seminary faculty and students. Speakers at the dedication included seminary president Laura Mendenhall; Lois Stroman, Dublin, GA, vice-chairperson of the Board of Trustees; Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the Presbyterian Church (USA); Sara Myers, director of the library; and Professor Clarke, who is also director of the seminary’s new program in Presbyterian and Reformed History and Theology. Developed by the faculty and the Center for Lifelong Learning, the program began its inaugural year this summer with a series of lectures in Montreat. Columbia Theological Seminary, located in Decatur, Georgia, was established in 1828 and is one of 10 theological institutions of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Director of Communications