Presbyterian Church (USA) Resources
Your home church, presbytery (Committee on Preparation for Ministry), and synod may provide financial support to their seminary students. Let them know your needs. Other Presbyterian Resources include the following:
PCUSA Study Grant
You may find information regarding the PCUSA Study grant at www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/financialaid/presbyterian-study-grant/. Applications are available starting April of each year. Please call the CTS Financial Planning Office if you have questions that are not answered at the site.
Other Presbyterian Scholarship Opportunities:
Below are scholarship opportunities that CTS students pursued during the 2014-15 academic year. Investigate, get a head start. Review so you may be prepared to apply as soon as they are announced for 2015-16.
The First Presbyterian Church Preaching and Worship Scholarship
Submit to: The First Presbyterian Church, 502 W. Maine Ave., Enid, OK 73701
Application Deadline: November 30, 2014
Award Announcement: February 1, 2015
- Cash prize: $2,000.00
- Opportunity to lead worship at The First Presbyterian Church, Enid, OK
- All expenses paid
- Ability to use The First Presbyterian Church as a reference in professional development
Applicants must be:
- 2nd or 3rd year student;
- Under care of a PC(USA) presbytery, seeking ordination as a Teaching Elder;
- Enrolled or planning to enroll in an entry level preaching and worship course offered by the seminary. Preaching and worship will be considered but not required.
- Completed application form (Rm. 212 Campbell Hall) or www.fpcenid.com:
- Endorsement letter from academic/admissions advisor re: current enrollment and good academic standing;
- Endorsement letter from church or presbytery leader re: plans for ordination and ecclesial standing;
- Short answer responses to questions attached to application;
- A complete order of worship using the Service for The Lord’s Day in the Book of Common Worship; and
- A transcript of a 15 -18 min. sermon based on chosen Scripture texts.
The application is available in the CTS Office of Financial Planning (Rm. 212 Campbell Hall)
Apollos Scholarships from the Omaha Presbyterian Foundation
Deadline: Completed applications due around April 15 each year.
The Omaha Presbyterian Seminary Foundation accepts applications for Apollos Scholarships in the amount of $1,500 or $3,000 per semester for up to 3 years of study. Please arrange for references and transcripts to be received in the Foundation office by April 15 as well. All completed applications will be forwarded to the selection committee following verification of status as Inquirer or Candidate with the CPM of their Presbytery, and as a full-time student making progress toward an MDiv degree. Announcement of scholarship recipients is made on or about August 1 each year. In the 60 years since the Foundation began financial support for seminarians, about 70 students from Columbia Theological Seminary have benefited from loans (early years) and scholarships (since 1992). Please consider applying.
St. John’s Presbyterian Church, Reno Nevada Scholarships:
- Be an active member of any Presbyterian Church (USA);
- Be an Inquirer or Candidate under care of a presbytery of the Presbyterian Church (USA); and
- Preparing for ordination to the Office of Minister of the Word and Sacrament of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Deadline: Completed applications due June 30 of each year.
Information and application can be found at: www.stjohnschurch.org/theogrant.html. Call the church (775.826.0990) if you have questions.
Synod of the Sun Presbyterian Foundation Scholarships
Deadline: Completed application by June 15 of each year.
- Member of a Presbyterian Church (USA) congregation within the four-state Synod of the Sun area: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas;
- Certified as an Inquirer or Candidate under care of the Committee on Preparation for Ministry (COPM) in their presbytery;
- Plan to serve the Presbyterian Church (USA) following graduation; and
- Full-time student pursuing a Master of Divinity degree (MDiv) at a Presbyterian or Presbyterian-related (by covenant) theological school listed on the "Presbyterian Seminaries" page of the foundation’s website: www.sunfound.org
More about the scholarship can be found at the above website including the on-line application.
The Foundation website: (www.sunfound.org)
Freedom Plains United Presbyterian Church Vocational Scholarships
Deadline: Completed applications due by June 15 of each year.
A limited number of scholarships are available through the First Presbyterian Church, Poughkeepsie, NY. You may pick up an application from the Financial Planning Office at 212 Campbell Hall, 404.687.4582. Please call the FPO at 404.687.4582 if you have questions or concerns.
Submit applications to:
Arne Christensen, Chairperson
FFPC, PO Box 400
LaGrangeville, NY 12540