Doctor of Educational Ministry – DEdMin
The Doctor of Educational Ministry or DEdMin degree program is open to qualified applicants currently engaged in ministries of Christian education. Applicants should have a master’s degree in religious education and at least three years of experience in educational ministry. This program is usually completed in four years. Columbia Theological Seminary’s DEdMin was created to foster spiritual maturity as well as imaginative thinking about educational ministry as it is practiced within the life of congregations, as well as in other contexts.
This is a part-time program for those actively employed in a position of educational ministry. The 45 credit hour degree includes 33 hours of course work, a 6 hour practicum and a 6 hour final research project. Courses take place on the Columbia Seminary campus and include courses taught in two week residential intensives and hybrid courses with some web delivered components and complementing classroom lectures. The practicum and final research project are ordinarily done in the student’s place of ministry.
Applications for the next cohort will be received until April 15, 2022. Students accepted into the cohort will begin their studies with the DEdMin Introductory Seminar hosted on our Decatur, GA campus near Atlanta in the fall of 2022.
The 45-hour DEdMin degree program consists of the following:
Required Courses (21 hours)
- DEdMin Degree Introductory Seminar (6 credits)
- Teaching and Learning Theory (3 credits)
- Advanced Study in Human Development (6 credits)
- Advanced Study in Curriculum Theory (3 credits)
- Educational Care Resources (3 credits)
Elective Course Credit (9 hours)
Original Curriculum (3 hours) – An original curriculum produced, tested, and assessed by the student.
DEdMin Degree Practicum (6 hours)
Project Proposal Workshop (no credit)
DEdMin Degree Project (6 hours) – A research paper of approximately 75-100 pages in length.
Total 45 credit hours
Admission Requirements for the DEdMin Degree:
To be eligible to apply for the Doctor of Educational Ministry program at Columbia Theological Seminary, applicants must have the following:
- Admission to the degree program requires the possession of an ATS-approved first professional degree in educational ministry (i.e., M.R.E., MACE or MAPT with a concentration in Christian education, MDiv with demonstrated coursework in educational ministry). Ministerial experience cannot be considered an alternative to or a substitute for the professional master’s degree in educational ministry, nor can other master’s degrees in education that do not have a comprehensive exposure to the theological disciplines. Applicants with appropriate coursework may be considered eligible for advanced standing.
- Applicants for admission shall be required to demonstrate ability to engage in the practices of educational ministry, superior academic aptitude, and capacity both to contribute to the program and benefit by participation in it. Ordinarily, applicants are employed by or hold an official position in educational ministry throughout the duration of their enrollment in the degree program.
- Ordinarily three years of experience in educational ministry after completion of the first professional degree.
- For a full list of requirements please view the Application Materials Checklist.
DEdMin Tuition Cost Structure 2020-2021
DEdMin Informational Packet
You may contact Dr. Jeffery Tribble, Associate Dean of Advanced Professional Studies via email at TribbleJ@CTSnet.edu or by phone at 404-687-4533 to arrange a visit to our campus in Decatur near Atlanta, GA. You may also contact Rhonda Johnson, Program Coordinator of Advanced Professional Studies via email at JohnsonR@CTSnet.edu.
+ Back to Degree Programs