Have you found the key?
One metaphor for wisdom is the key. Keys unlock what is closed, throw open the doors to what is hidden, and reveal secrets locked away. Keys are also a metaphor for access, and therefore, of power (remember the character nicknamed “Keys” in the movie E.T.? He wore a clip full of clinging keys on his belt, a symbol of a person with access—one who could go anywhere he wanted).
Have you discovered the key to something? That one thing that unlocks a mystery, unravels a puzzle, gets you past the stuckness, or answers the deeper questions about life, relationship, competence, or effectiveness?
Have you discovered . . .
- the key to fame and fortune
- the key to a healthy marriage
- the key to someone’s heart
- the key to succeeding in ministry
- the key to success
- the key to being a good athlete
- the key to effective leadership
- the key to programming your VCR
- the key to becoming a good parent
- the key to helping people learn
- the key to inspiring a struggling student
- the key to unlocking any door
- the key to getting people to like you
- the key to helping someone change
- the key to wealth
- the key to spiritual maturity
- the key to helping a wayward teenager get back on track
- the key to running a successful organization?
- the key to managing people?
- the key to effective communication?
- the key to contentment?
- the key to an authentic Christian life?
Share your wisdom. What key have you discovered that has opened doors for you? Comment below.
Israel Galindo is Associate Dean for Lifelong Learning at the Columbia Theological Seminary. He directs the Pastoral Excellence Program at Columbia seminary. He is the author of the bestseller, The Hidden Lives of Congregations (Alban), Perspectives on Congregational Leadership (Educational Consultants), and A Family Genogram Workbook (Educational Consultants), with Elaine Boomer & Don Reagan, and Leadership in Ministry: Bowen Theory in the Congregational Context.
His books on education include Mastering the Art of Instruction,The Craft of Christian Teaching (Judson), How to be the Best Christian Study Group Leader (Judson), and Planning for Christian Education Formation (Chalice Press).